These are the cultural norms of African Americans…
The Extended Family
- Cousins, Aunts, Mother, Father, Uncle
- By blood relative and non-relatives… Play mom (Godmother, Godfather), play cousins, play nieces, play nephews, play grandmothers, play grandfathers)
- Involved in some type of church religious activity
High Value on Children
- Children come first
Respect for the Elderly
- Always respectful to adults and especially to the elderly
Flexible Family Roles
- Mother working and father taking care of kids
- For self and community
- Not doing something that you know you should not do. Knowing right from wrong
- To self, family, and community
- I keep the kids one day and you keep the kids the next.
Can you think of any examples of how these cultural values apply to you and your family?